What activities must I avoid if I have proliferative diabetic retinopathy?

If the blood vessels in your eyes are leaking blood due to proliferative diabetic retinopathy (when fragile new blood vessels grow along the retina) or you need laser surgery, certain physical activities or movements can make it worse. Because of this, you may need to adjust your fitness plan to avoid bouncing or quick movements. You may also need to limit activities that cause you to strain or hold your breath such as lifting a small child or a bag of heavy groceries. Talk with your eye doctor about what is safe for you.

Continue Learning about Diabetic Retinopathy (Eye Damage)

What can I do to prevent eye problems in diabetes?
Keeping your blood sugars in control is the most effective way to prevent eye problems. Blood pressu...
How does diabetes affect the eye?
Healthy HumansHealthy Humans
Changes to the eye caused by diabetes are collectively known as diabetic retinopathy. Diabetes affec...
What Is Diabetic Retinopathy?
What Is Diabetic Retinopathy?
What Are the Symptoms of Diabetic Retinopathy?