What activities must I avoid if I have proliferative diabetic retinopathy?

If the blood vessels in your eyes are leaking blood due to proliferative diabetic retinopathy (when fragile new blood vessels grow along the retina) or you need laser surgery, certain physical activities or movements can make it worse. Because of this, you may need to adjust your fitness plan to avoid bouncing or quick movements. You may also need to limit activities that cause you to strain or hold your breath such as lifting a small child or a bag of heavy groceries. Talk with your eye doctor about what is safe for you.

Continue Learning about Diabetic Retinopathy (Eye Damage)