How do eye doctors check for diabetic retinopathy?

The diabetic retinopathy exam involves a thorough eye exam, including a dilated retinal exam with both slit-lamp biomicroscopy and indirect ophthalmoscopy. These methods of examining the retina with special microscopes and lenses in the office allow the ophthalmologist to see the retina in great detail in order to assess the potential changes that diabetic retinopathy causes.

Continue Learning about Diabetic Retinopathy (Eye Damage)

What is proliferative diabetic retinopathy (PDR)?
Healthy HumansHealthy Humans
Diabetic retinopathy can appear in three forms, macular edema, background retinopathy (BDR), and pro...
Why should I see my doctor if I see spots and have diabetic retinopathy?
Jeffrey S. Heier, MDJeffrey S. Heier, MD
As diabetic retinopathy -- an eye disease caused by damage to blood vessels of the retina (the inner...
The Effects of Diabetic Retinopathy
The Effects of Diabetic Retinopathy
How Is Diabetic Retinopathy Diagnosed?
How Is Diabetic Retinopathy Diagnosed?