What types of neuropathy can affect my legs if I have diabetes?

Femoral neuropathy occurs most often in people with type 2 diabetes. A pain may develop in the front of one thigh. Muscle weakness follows, and the affected muscles waste away. A different kind of neuropathy that also affects the legs is called diabetic amyotrophy. In this case, weakness occurs on both sides of the body, but there is no pain. Doctors do not understand why it occurs, but blood vessel disease may be the cause.

Continue Learning about Diabetic Neuropathy (Nerve Damage)

Are the tingling and numbness in my hands caused by my diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
If you have tingling in your hands but not your feet, diabetes may be a contributor, but it is more ...
What is the outlook for people with diabetic neuropathy?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
The prognosis for diabetic neuropathy depends largely on how well the underlying condition of diabet...
Why do many diabetics suffer nerve damage in their extremities?
Peripheral neuropathy is a major cause of foot ulcers that can lead to amputation in some people wit...
Is Diabetic Neuropathy or Nerve Pain Related to Vitamin D?