How is poor circulation related to diabetic peripheral neuropathy?

Diabetics are already vulnerable to poor circulation to the body's extremities, which lowers the body's ability to heal. This can cause infections in the feet if a sore or cut does not heal properly. This complication is exacerbated by peripheral neuropathy, since many people experience loss of sensation in the feet and may not be aware of an injury or infection. These two complications place you at a higher risk for foot infections that, if left untreated, may eventually require amputation.

Continue Learning about Diabetic Neuropathy (Nerve Damage)

How can type 2 diabetes cause nerve disease?
Healthy HumansHealthy Humans
Due to the disruption of the microcirculation, the nerves can become damaged in diabetes, creating a...
What can relieve neuropathic pain in people with diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The pain of neuropathy can really cause suffering; people describe it as a burning or electrical-typ...
How can I plan for my diabetic peripheral neuropathy testing?
If you are being tested for diabetic peripheral neuropathy, you may see a neurologist or an endocrin...
Is Diabetic Neuropathy or Nerve Pain Related to Vitamin D?