What nutrients can help ease diabetic neuropathy?

Amy Campbell
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Alpha lipoic acid (an antioxidant) taken in pill form may help lessen the pain of neuropathy. In a study published in the journal Diabetes Care in 2006, a dose of alpha lipoic acid of 600 milligrams once per day was found to be effective at lessening symptoms of neuropathy. Alpha lipoic acid is sold as a dietary supplement, so it's not regulated by the FDA. Also, it may increase the risk of hypoglycemia if taken in conjunction with insulin or certain types of diabetes pills, so it's important to check with your healthcare provider before taking this.

Continue Learning about Diabetic Neuropathy (Nerve Damage)

How can I relieve nerve pain caused by diabetes?
Dana ArtinyanDana Artinyan
If your neuropathy stems from inadequate blood glucose control or diabetes, the best course of actio...
Are the tingling and numbness in my hands caused by my diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
If you have tingling in your hands but not your feet, diabetes may be a contributor, but it is more ...
How can I plan for my diabetic peripheral neuropathy testing?
If you are being tested for diabetic peripheral neuropathy, you may see a neurologist or an endocrin...
Is Diabetic Neuropathy or Nerve Pain Related to Vitamin D?