How does diabetic peripheral neuropathy affect the body?

One of the complications of diabetes is high blood glucose levels. If blood glucose levels are not managed well, this can cause nerve damage throughout the body. Diabetic peripheral neuropathy affects the group of nerves in the feet, legs, arms, and hands. Prolonged exposure to high blood glucose levels can weaken the blood vessels and deprive the nerves of oxygen and other nutrients, which gradually leads to nerve damage over time. Peripheral neuropathy is the most common type of neuropathy in diabetics.

Continue Learning about Diabetic Neuropathy (Nerve Damage)

How can I know if I have nerve damage from diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Nerve damage from diabetes is called diabetic neuropathy (new-ROP-uh-thee). About half of all people...
What types of neuropathy can affect my legs if I have diabetes?
Femoral neuropathy occurs most often in people with type 2 diabetes. A pain may develop in the front...
How can I relieve nerve pain caused by diabetes?
Dana ArtinyanDana Artinyan
If your neuropathy stems from inadequate blood glucose control or diabetes, the best course of actio...
Is Diabetic Neuropathy or Nerve Pain Related to Vitamin D?