How do I care for someone with diabetic peripheral neuropathy?

If you are caring for someone who has diabetic peripheral neuropathy, know their treatment plan for diabetes, which is the underlying cause of this nerve disorder. Be aware of their target blood glucose levels, and help them stay within this range as much as possible. Peripheral neuropathy causes pain, especially in the feet and hands. Massage these areas to help improve circulation and lessen symptoms. Your friend or loved one may develop foot problems without being aware of them due to loss of sensation. Help them check for blisters or any signs of infection, and make sure their doctor is aware of any problems. Helping someone manage diabetes and diabetic peripheral neuropathy will go a long way in preventing further complications.

Continue Learning about Diabetic Neuropathy (Nerve Damage)

What types of neuropathy can affect my legs if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Femoral neuropathy occurs most often in people with type 2 diabetes. A pain may develop in the front...
How common is nerve damage from diabetes?
About half of all people with diabetes have some form of nerve damage. It is more common in thos...
What can relieve neuropathic pain in people with diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The pain of neuropathy can really cause suffering; people describe it as a burning or electrical-typ...
Is Diabetic Neuropathy or Nerve Pain Related to Vitamin D?