Why should I use artificial sweeteners instead of sugar if I have diabetes?

When you have diabetes, including sweets in your diet requires careful planning. However, it can be hard to just save sweets for special occasions. Foods and drinks that use artificial sweeteners are an option that may help curb your cravings for something sweet. Sometimes artificial sweeteners are also called low-calorie sweeteners, sugar substitutes, or non-nutritive sweeteners. They can be used to sweeten food and drinks for less calories and carbohydrate when they replace sugar.

However, many foods containing artificial sweeteners still have calories and carbs, so be sure to check the nutrition facts label. Their sweetening power is at least 100 times more intense than regular sugar, so only a small amount is needed when you use these sugar substitutes.

Also, with the exception of aspartame, all of the sweeteners cannot be broken down by the body. They pass through our systems without being digested so they provide no extra calories.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Do You Know Your Macros?
Do You Know Your Macros?
A healthy diet may be the most powerful tool you have to manage your diabetes. If you eat a balanced diet and pay attention to portion sizes at meals ...
What causes diabetes?
Diabetes is a disease in which the levels of sugar (glucose) in your blood are too high. The high bl...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Can I Predict the Pattern of My Blood Glucose Levels?