Why should I not refer to myself as a diabetic?

Think about what you really hope people will understand when or if you say that you are “diabetic.”

For example, maybe you are a restaurant with friends and decide not to have dessert, or feel pressured to join in. Instead of saying, “I’m diabetic so I can’t have any.”

Try saying:

“I have type 2 (or type 1) diabetes. I am careful about the carbohydrates I eat. I can have sweets, but have to pick and choose when it is healthy for me to have them.”

This extra effort challenges misinformation and educates others about diabetes.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Are You Ready to Try a Plant-Based Diet?
If you’ve read anything about healthy eating plans for people with diabetes, you’ve probably seen the term “plant-based diet.” But what does it mean? ...
What are the early symptoms of diabetes?
Sky Ridge Medical CenterSky Ridge Medical Center
Following are some of the many symptoms associated with diabetes: Frequent urination and increase...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
How Is Body Composition Associated With Insulin Resistance?