Why should I see my doctor for regular checkups if I have diabetes?

If you have diabetes, keep up with checkups. Regular checkups can help you lower your risk of heart disease and stroke. You should:

• Have your blood pressure checked at every visit.
  • Have your A1C/eAG checked at least twice a year.
  • Have your blood fats checked at least once a year.
  • Have your urine checked for small amounts of protein once a year.
  • Talk about your meal plan.
  • Discuss any lifestyle, work or emotional changes.
  • Discuss your physical activity routine.
  • If you smoke, talk about ways to quit.
  • Remove shoes and socks for a foot check.
  • Review your medications.
  • Ask any questions you have about your diabetes care.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.