Why do I need to monitor my carbohydrate intake if I have diabetes?

Nowadays, we hear about carbohydrate all the time. Foods that contain carbohydrate raise blood glucose. If you have diabetes, by keeping track of how many carbohydrates you eat and setting a limit for your maximum amount to eat, you can help to keep your blood glucose levels in your target range.
Food is made up of three main nutrients: fat, protein, and carbohydrate. Of these, carbs have the biggest effect on your blood glucose. For this reason, you need to match your insulin intake to your carbohydrate intake ("cover" your carbs). You can do this by carefully measuring your insulin doses and counting carbs in your meals and snacks.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.