Why do I need to monitor my carbohydrate intake if I have diabetes?

Food is made up of three main nutrients: fat, protein, and carbohydrate. Of these, carbs have the biggest effect on your blood glucose. For this reason, you need to match your insulin intake to your carbohydrate intake ("cover" your carbs). You can do this by carefully measuring your insulin doses and counting carbs in your meals and snacks.
Nowadays, we hear about carbohydrate all the time. Foods that contain carbohydrate raise blood glucose. If you have diabetes, by keeping track of how many carbohydrates you eat and setting a limit for your maximum amount to eat, you can help to keep your blood glucose levels in your target range.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

4 Go-To Resources for Diabetic Heart Disease Management
Diabetic heart disease (DHD) is a type of heart disease that affects those with types 1 and 2 diabetes. Lifestyle factors, like diet, activity and str...
What tests can predict my child's risk of type 1 diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Researchers are learning how to predict a person's odds of getting diabetes. For example, most white...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
What Is the Future of Insulin Delivery and Glucose Monitoring Systems?