Why do I overeat even if I am diabetic?

Tonya Bolden
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Is your problem overeating? If so, ask yourself why. What triggers this behavior? It could be stress in general. Or maybe you are like me, in a family or community where overeating is the norm, and you are going along with the program to get along. Are there some early traumas or deprivations that started you gorging? I have sometimes thought that had I sought out serious therapy when I was younger, I would have been able to stop my overeating before I was at death’s door. Again I say, do as I should have done years ago.
Half the Mother, Twice the Love: My Journey to Better Health with Diabetes

As a talk-show host and inspirational speaker, Mother Love used to have to just grin and bear it -- all that extra weight and the poor health that went along with it. Today she can truly smile as she...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.