Why is a healthy diet important if I have diabetes?

Toby Smithson

A balanced diet that emphasizes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and low fat dairy will keep your blood glucose in check and will prevent acute and chronic complications, such as nerve and kidney damage, as well as heart disease. Moreover, these nutrient dense foods (foods with more vitamins, minerals, and fiber and less calories) have additional health benefits including better weight management and prevention of certain types of cancer.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Find a Diabetes Treatment Plan That Works for You
From extreme fatigue to an upset stomach, the list of side effects of medications jammed in at the end of drug commercials can be overwhelming. And it...
How can I manage morning blood sugar spikes if I have diabetes?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
If you have diabetes, the morning creates a perfect storm for blood sugar spikes: high-carb and suga...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
Do the Benefits of Weight-Loss Surgery Outweigh the Risks?