Why should I eat beans if I have diabetes?

Whether you prefer kidney, pinto, navy, or black beans, you can't find better nutrition than that provided by beans if you have diabetes. They are very high in fiber, giving you about 1/3 of your daily requirement in just 1/2 cup and are also good sources of magnesium and potassium. They are considered starchy vegetables, but 1/2 cup provides as much protein as an ounce of meat without the saturated fat. To save time you can use canned beans, but be sure to drain and rinse them to get rid of as much sodium as possible.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

4 Go-To Resources for Diabetic Heart Disease Management
Diabetic heart disease (DHD) is a type of heart disease that affects those with types 1 and 2 diabetes. Lifestyle factors, like diet, activity and str...
What is See Me. See Diabetes. (SMSD)?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
See Me. See Diabetes. (SMSD) is a movement to promote a change in the way we think and talk about di...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
How Do DPP-4 Inhibitors Work for Type 2 Diabetes?