Why should I check my insurance plan before I buy a blood glucose meter?

Before you invest in any meter, check with your insurance plan or company health program. They may pay for only specific meters or have a cost allowance. Also find out if you are covered for the test strips and the quantity allowed. 
You should check your insurance plan before buying a blood glucose meter to make sure it's covered. Some insurance companies only cover certain meters, so you may not get reimbursed if you buy a different one. Call your insurance company first and ask about the types of meters that they will cover. Once you know what's covered, shop around for the best meter that's covered, at the best price.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How to Protect Your Heart if You Have Diabetes
You’ve probably heard that diabetes is a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease. How major? According to the American Diabetes Association (AD...
Why are so many people with diabetes non-compliant?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
People with diabetes are often labeled non-compliant when they don’t have perfect glucose control, d...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
Walking Marathons and No Holding Back!
Walking Marathons and No Holding Back!