Q

Diabetes

Who should be on my diabetes healthcare team?

• In addition to your doctor, you need someone trained to help you with the day-to-day challenges of living with diabetes. Diabetes educator nurses and dietitians, plus your doctor, are the core members of your health care team.
    A certified diabetes educator (CDE) is a health professional (registered nurse [RN], registered dietitian [RD], pharmacist, physician, etc.) who has been trained and "certified" as an expert in diabetes education and management.

• A Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism, answered on behalf of
    Your diabetes healthcare team should include a doctor, dietician, exercise physiologist and a psychologist, says Steven Edelman, MD, director of Taking Control of Your Diabetes. In this video, he explains who should be the most involved in your care.

Your diabetes team should include your primary care physician along with an endocrinologist, certified diabetes educator and a nutritionist. You should also visit an ophthalmologist once a year, and other providers, such as a podiatrist for your feet, a nephrologist for your kidneys or a cardiologist for your heart when needed. The most important members of the team are, of course, you the patient, and the other members of your household!

• A , Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism, answered
    When it comes to diabetes, I push self-reliance, self-management, and your personal responsibility to take care of yourself. But when the fight gets hairy, there's nothing wrong with calling in reinforcements in the form of your medical team. Your doc is in charge. But diabetes educators, nutritionists, exercise physiologists, and assorted specialists can all play a part in your fight against diabetes.
  • To help manage your diabetes, you should be surrounded by people who are willing to support you. Your diabetes treatment team should include the following people:
    • family member or close friend(s)
    • family doctor and nurses
    • endocrinologist
    • diabetes educator
    • dietitian
    • pharmacist
    • mental health provider
    • podiatrist
    • eye care specialist
    • primary healthcare provider
  • A Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of

There are several key people that should be on your health care team if you have diabetes. The team should consist of your primary care giver, a nurse educator (RN), a registered dietitian, as well as an endocrinologist. With the help of all of these specialists they should meet your needs that you have and be able to answer your questions regarding diabetes. A dietitian will help you determine your food needs, an endocrinologist is someone that specializes in treating diseases of the endocrine system, including diabetes and lastly, an RN will guide you in how to live your day to day life with diabetes. 

1 person found this helpful.
  • A , Nutrition & Dietetics, answered

A "diabetes dream team" would consist of your primary care doctor, an endocrinologist and a registered dietitian. An endocrinologist is a doctor that specializes in diseases of the glands and diabetes falls in this category. A registered dietitian can teach you how to modify your diet in order to keep your blood sugar under control. This team covers all the bases.

1 person found this helpful.

Your diabetes healthcare team should include you, family members, a physician, a diabetes educator, and a lifestyle coach (trainer/nutritionist). Watch as endocrinologist Reza Yavari, MD, discusses who should be included on a diabetes care team.

• A , Nutrition & Dietetics, answered

A Endocrinologist, primary care Physician, Registered Dietitian, Registered Nurse, Diabetes Educator of which may be a nurse or dietitian, exercise specialist, Psychologist, Podiatrist, and Ophthalmologist are part of a diabetes health care team.

• A answered

Because diabetes affects your entire body, literally from head to toe, your diabetes healthcare team may, in addition to your primary physician or endocrinologist, include a nurse-educator, registered dietician, dentist, eye doctor, exercise physiologist, podiatrist (foot specialist), and other health professionals. You are an important part of your healthcare team as well.

This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Should I start taking medicine right after a diagnosis of diabetes?