Which laws protect my child with diabetes at school?

Almost all schools are required by law to provide aids and related services to meet the needs of children with diabetes. Three federal laws may play an important role at school.

Federal laws regarding diabetes at school:

• Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 protects individuals with disabilities from discrimination in any federally funded program, including public school systems. To be protected by Section 504, the student must have a disability defined as: A physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of major life activities; a record of such an impairment, or be regarded as having such an impairment.
  • The Americans with Disabilities Act provides similar protection in all public and private schools, except schools run by religious institutions.
  • The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) guarantees “free appropriate public education including special education and related service programming for all children with disabilities.” This law only applies to those children whose diabetes adversely affects their ability to learn. This can occur when your child’s blood glucose levels are often very high or low at school, if your child misses a lot of school due to diabetes-related complications, or if your child has another disability that affects learning.

You can ask your school district to evaluate your child to determine which laws apply.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Manage Insulin-Dependent Diabetes With 90-Day CGMs
When you think of humans with implants, you may picture sinister movie characters like Dr. No with bionic metal hands or the Borg from Star Trek. But ...
Why should I keep personal identification with my diabetes tools?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Your personal identification should identify you and your medical condition(s) in case you become un...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Do I Have to Test My Blood Sugar Every Day?