When should I call the doctor about my diabetes?

If you have diabetes, call or go to the doctor or clinic if:
  • Your blood sugar is too high (180 mg/dL or more) or too low (70 mg/dL or less), and you can't get it back to a normal level
  • Your blood sugar is too high or too low more than twice a week
  • You are sick and not getting better
  • You have a question about your treatment
  • You are pregnant or want to become pregnant
  • You are throwing up

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.