What are some tips for sugar surfing if I have diabetes?

“Sugar surfing” is a method that blends your ability to be reactive and proactive to control changes in blood sugar levels in response to different situations.  It’s a little like ocean surfing: the longer you sugar surf, the better you get. Where you set your personal blood sugar target zone or zones is always you or your doctor’s choice. When starting out, higher and wider ranges are always a good idea. As your skills improve, you can start to lower the target and maybe make the range narrower as you gain experience.

A few words of caution: Don’t overdo it! It’s easy to make things too hard on yourself at first. Often, you just can’t keep blood sugars in range no matter what you do. We all have those days. Mistakes and missteps are chances to learn new things about your unique diabetes control.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

The Best and Worst Foods for Diabetes
The Best and Worst Foods for Diabetes
If you have diabetes, planning meals may seem at times like a walking on a tight rope. You can eat this, but not that. You can have some of this, but ...
If I've just been diagnosed with diabetes, what do I need to know?
Dr. Ronald Tamler, MDDr. Ronald Tamler, MD
If you've just been diagnosed with diabetes, you need to know the kind of diabetes that you have. In...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Should I Test My Blood Sugar Every Day?
Should I Test My Blood Sugar Every Day?