What side effects do gliptins cause?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Side effects may include inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis), liver failure, and severe hypersensitivity reactions. Other side effects may include headaches, cough, inflamed throat and sinuses, upper respiratory infections, urinary tract infections, joint pain, and back pain.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

4 Go-To Resources for Diabetic Heart Disease Management
Diabetic heart disease (DHD) is a type of heart disease that affects those with types 1 and 2 diabetes. Lifestyle factors, like diet, activity and str...
What kind of injected insulin is used for diabetes?
Rapid-acting forms of insulin include lispro (Humalog), aspart (Novolog), and glulisine (Apidra). Th...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Will I Get Diabetes If I Am Obese?
Will I Get Diabetes If I Am Obese?