What should be the steps to wellness for diabetics?

Tonya Bolden
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

There is no one-size-fits-all program for diabetics or for nondiabetics seeking to be as healthy as they can be. But there are some basics that everyone should heed. Among them are:

-Get and maintain a positive attitude.

-Do not smoke.

-Reduce your consumption of refined sugar.

-Cut loose heavy drinking - or you may need to abstain from alcohol.

-Do not eat supersize meals.

-If you eat meat, eat lean meat and less meat.

-Eat more fruits and veggies.

-Drink lots of water.

-Reduce your stress level.

-Laugh, laugh, and laugh!

-Get off your butt and move! I don’t care if it’s swimming, walking, or mopping. Just get up and move. Trust me, your hair can handle it!
Half the Mother, Twice the Love: My Journey to Better Health with Diabetes

As a talk-show host and inspirational speaker, Mother Love used to have to just grin and bear it -- all that extra weight and the poor health that went along with it. Today she can truly smile as she...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How to Develop Your Diabetes Action Plan
Managing diabetes requires care, commitment and planning. With your diagnosis, it’s helpful to develop an action plan that is specific to you. To dev...
Why should I not refer to myself as a diabetic?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
Think about what you really hope people will understand when or if you say that you are “diabetic.” ...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
What Is a Catfish Recipe for People with Diabetes?