What should be the steps to wellness for diabetics?

Tonya Bolden
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

There is no one-size-fits-all program for diabetics or for nondiabetics seeking to be as healthy as they can be. But there are some basics that everyone should heed. Among them are:

-Get and maintain a positive attitude.

-Do not smoke.

-Reduce your consumption of refined sugar.

-Cut loose heavy drinking - or you may need to abstain from alcohol.

-Do not eat supersize meals.

-If you eat meat, eat lean meat and less meat.

-Eat more fruits and veggies.

-Drink lots of water.

-Reduce your stress level.

-Laugh, laugh, and laugh!

-Get off your butt and move! I don’t care if it’s swimming, walking, or mopping. Just get up and move. Trust me, your hair can handle it!
Half the Mother, Twice the Love: My Journey to Better Health with Diabetes

As a talk-show host and inspirational speaker, Mother Love used to have to just grin and bear it -- all that extra weight and the poor health that went along with it. Today she can truly smile as she...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.