What should I ask when seeking a second opinion if I have diabetes?

When searching for a physician to provide a second ­opinion, first ask your physician or a healthcare professional you trust. Look for a doctor who is board certified in the field in which you are seeking information, such as cardiology, surgery, or endocrinology. One option is to call the appropriate department of a major medical center or teaching hospital and ask for the name of a specialist in the field.

Questions to Ask When You Get a Second Opinion

• What is the diagnosis and how was it determined?
  • What treatments are available and which are most effective? Most risky? Most commonly used?
  • What treatment do you suggest and why?
  • What is the success rate for this treatment?
  • Is the condition reversible?
  • What are the potential side effects and complications of the treatment and how likely are they?
  • Is the problem or treatment likely to affect my blood glucose levels?
  • Will the treatment require hospitalization? For how long? Will I need follow-up care?
  • Are there any additional costs associated with this treatment, such as repeated blood tests, physical therapy, or postoperative nursing care?
  • Is this an experimental treatment? Will I be participating in research? Will I be part of a placebo/control group or will I receive treatment?
  • If this is experimental treatment, you may need to evaluate the potential risks and make sure they do not outweigh the benefits. If this is a research protocol, are more conventional treatments available should this one fail?

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How Type 2 Diabetes Affects Your Organs
How Type 2 Diabetes Affects Your Organs
Get a look inside one woman’s eyes, kidneys and pancreas to learn how her type 2 diabetes affects her body, as well as her daily life, with Sharecare’...
If I have diabetes, what special vitamins should I take?
Dr. Jacob TeitelbaumDr. Jacob Teitelbaum
Research shows that the antioxidants we get from food, such as vitamin C, can lower the risk of diab...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
For the Good of the Family
For the Good of the Family