What should I do if I forget to take my glitazone medication?

If you forget to take your glitazone medication for your type 2 diabetes, then don't panic! Just follow these steps:
  • For once-a-day dosing: If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it’s almost time for the next day’s dose, skip the missed dose and take your next dose as usual. Do not double your dose.
  • For twice-a-day dosing: if you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. Then take your next dose at the normal time. Do not double your dose.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.