What should I do if I am diagnosed with diabetes?

The following are the first steps you need to take if you are diagnosed with diabetes:

Step 1: Learn more -- and follow up.  Knowledge is power. Learn more from diabetes books, websites, or classes. Just be sure to get your information from trusted sources like the American Diabetes Association. Most important is to follow up with a healthcare provider -- schedule an appointment now if you haven't already. A doctor or diabetes educator needs to see you regularly to provide information, support, and guidance.

Step 2: Track your habits. To create your plan, your providers need to know about your daily habits and routines. You can help by gathering some information beforehand. Record information about your medications, physical activity, and eating habits. Bring this information to your next visit with a diabetes educator or doctor.

Step 3: Take care of yourself today. You don't need to wait until your appointment. Here are a few ways you can improve your health today -- and lay the groundwork for more healthy changes ahead:
  • Choose healthy foods in reasonable portions, at regular times throughout the day. This will help stabilize your blood glucose levels.
  • If you exercise regularly, keep it up. Activity will help you manage the stress you may feel right now.
  • Get plenty of sleep. Being well rested is the foundation of good health at any time.
  • Reach out for emotional support. It's easy to feel alone right now. So stay socially active. Seek out people who will listen and sympathize. Consider contacting a professional counselor -- you may need extra support.
Athena Philis-Tsimikas, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
If you've just been diagnosed with diabetes, what should you do? In this video, Athena Philis-Tsimikas, MD, an endocrinologist Scripps Health, discusses the top three things you should do to control your blood sugar and prevent future complications.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Are You Ready to Try a Plant-Based Diet?
If you’ve read anything about healthy eating plans for people with diabetes, you’ve probably seen the term “plant-based diet.” But what does it mean? ...
If I have diabetes, what special vitamins should I take?
Dr. Jacob TeitelbaumDr. Jacob Teitelbaum
Research shows that the antioxidants we get from food, such as vitamin C, can lower the risk of diab...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
What Is a Salmon Recipe for People with Diabetes?