What are risk factors for diabetes that I cannot change?

Many things affect your risk for type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and stroke. Some of these things, like your weight and how much you exercise, you can change. Other things, like your age or your family history, you can't change. But being aware of them can help you take smart steps to lower your risk.

Things you can't change:
  • Age
  • Race
  • Gender
  • Family history

Continue Learning about Diabetes

4 Go-To Resources for Diabetic Heart Disease Management
Diabetic heart disease (DHD) is a type of heart disease that affects those with types 1 and 2 diabetes. Lifestyle factors, like diet, activity and str...
If I have diabetes and am sick, how often should I check my blood sugar?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
This depends on two things: what type of diabetes you have and how sick you are. In general, people...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
What Is the Future of Insulin Delivery and Glucose Monitoring Systems?