What do the results of a blood glucose test mean?

If you haven't eaten within several hours, your blood sugar levels should be between 70 and 100. A measure of 100-125 is considered prediabetic, and 126 means you've got diabetes. If you've eaten recently and your blood sugar level reads above 200, it places you among the 80 million Americans living with diabetes. As the sugar builds up in your body due to insulin resistance, it acts like shards of glass, scraping away at the walls of your arteries, leaving them severely weakened.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

The Pancreas and Diabetes
The Pancreas and Diabetes
Take a trip inside the body with this video from Virtual Health Solutions. Get an up-close look at the pancreas, the gland that produces the hormone i...
How effective is low-dose aspirin in treating people with diabetes?
A review of 6 studies that included over 95,000 men and women (including over 4,000 people with diab...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
Does Being Overweight Increase My Risk of Type 2 Diabetes?