What are some of the myths about diabetes?

The top 4 myths about type 2 diabetes are:

Myth 1: "Diabetes is nothing to worry about—it's just a 'touch of sugar.' I'm just borderline."
Fact: Diabetes is a serious condition, but there's a lot you can do to take care of yourself.

Myth 2: "If I take my diabetes pills, I don't have to worry about what I eat or whether I exercise."
Fact: All three ways—medication, meal planning and physical activity—work together to treat diabetes.

Myth 3: "Once you have diabetes, there's nothing you can do to prevent health problems."
Fact: Research has proven that keeping blood glucose, blood pressure and cholesterol levels on target can help prevent diabetes complications such as heart attack, stroke and eye problems.

Myth 4: "Now that I have diabetes, I shouldn't eat sugar or carbohydrates."
Fact: These days, people with diabetes can eat sweets, carbohydrates or any other food and still keep blood glucose levels on target. It's the amount that counts. A dietitian can help you design a meal plan that includes your favorite foods.

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

There are a number of myths about type 2 diabetes. The most dangerous myth is the belief that diabetes isn’t that serious. In fact, type 2 diabetes kills more people each year than breast cancer and AIDS combined.

Another popular misconception is that type 2 diabetes is caused by eating too much sugar. This myth probably stems from the fact that if you eat a lot of sugar, you may be overweight, and that can increase your risk for type 2 diabetes. But just because you consume a lot of sugar doesn’t mean you’ll end up with diabetes, which is caused by heredity and lifestyle factors, such as being overweight and not exercising.

Another myth: Some people believe that if you have type 2 diabetes, you must eat only special foods. Not true. Your diet should be one that would be healthy for anyone—low in fat, with vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean meat and nonfat dairy products.

Mr. Eliot LeBow, CDE, LCSW
Endocrinologist

Think type 2 diabetes is simply caused by extra pounds? Think again. In this video, Eliot LeBow, a psychotherapist who specializes in diabetes, clears up common myths about type 2 diabetes.

Dr. Athena Philis-Tsimikas, MD
Endocrinologist

One of the biggest myths about diabetes is that a patient has little control over the outcome, says Scripps Health endocrinologist Athena Philis-Tsimikas, MD. Many cultures have their own unique myths about diabetes, as she explains in this video.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Screening and Diagnosis for Diabetes
Screening and Diagnosis for Diabetes
Diabetes is easy to prevent—if it's caught early enough. It's also the seventh leading cause of death in the United States, a fact that should motivat...
What questions should I ask my child's doctor if my child has diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Questions to ask your child's doctor if your child has diabetes:  When should my child get a flu ...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
What Is Community-Based Diabetes Care?
What Is Community-Based Diabetes Care?