What do I need to know about my blood sugar test results?

Almost one in three Americans with prediabetes or diabetes don't even know they have this serious disease. Signs of diabetes include fatigue, frequent urination and extreme thirst. You can determine your blood sugar level with a simple finger stick test that you can purchase or have conducted at your doctor's office.

Diabetes indicates that your blood glucose is too high and your body is inhibited from producing enough insulin (secreted by the pancreas) to keep blood sugar levels stable.

Here are the blood sugar numbers you need to know. Fasting blood sugar means that you have not eaten for several hours, and is usually measured in the morning.
  • Normal: Fasting blood glucose: 70-100 mg/dL
  • Prediabetes: Fasting blood glucose: 100-125 mg/dL
  • Diabetes: Fasting blood sugar: over 126 mg/dL
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
The key questions to ask about your blood sugar results are:

Is my blood sugar normal, or do my numbers indicate prediabetes or diabetes?

If your results are normal:
  • Do I have risk factors for high blood sugar or diabetes? What are they? How can I control them?
  • How often should I be retested?
  • What can I do to keep my blood sugar in the normal range?
If your results indicate prediabetes:
  • Are there additional tests I need to confirm a diagnosis?
  • How will my prediabetes be treated?
  • How often should I have my blood sugar retested?
  • What can I do to stop prediabetes from progressing to type 2 diabetes?
  • What changes should I make to my diet?
  • Would losing weight help to improve my blood sugar?
  • How much exercise should I be getting?
  • Are my blood pressure and cholesterol numbers healthy?
If your results indicate diabetes:
  • What is my current risk for diabetes complications? Are my blood pressure and cholesterol levels adding to my complication risk?
  • What should my goal blood sugar numbers be?
  • Do I need to start self-monitoring my blood sugar at home?
  • What should I do if I experience high or low blood sugar?
  • Do I need to take insulin or any other types of diabetes medications? If so, how should I take them, and what are the potential side effects?
  • What can I do to help manage my blood sugar and prevent diabetes-related complications?
  • What changes should I make to my diet? Would it be beneficial for me to see a registered dietitian?
  • Would losing weight help to control my diabetes? What can I do to lose weight?
  • How often do I need to have my A1c levels tested?
  • Are there any specialists I should see?

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.