What should I know before I take a glitazone?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Your doctor will need to test your liver and kidney function before starting treatment. If you have moderate to severe liver disease, you should not take pioglitazone. If you have mild liver disease, pioglitazone may not be a good option for you. Rosiglitazone may cause elevated liver enzymes, hepatitis, and liver failure.

If you have NYHA class III or IV heart failure, you should not take pioglitazone or rosiglitazone. If you have any other type of symptomatic heart failure, a glitazone may not be a good option for you.

If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, glitazones may not be a good option for you. It is not known if they are safe for pregnant women.

You should not take a glitazone if you are breastfeeding.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Good Carb, Bad Carb: Do You Know the Difference?
Which do you think will raise your blood sugar more gently: Eating a whole orange or downing a glass of orange juice? The answer comes down to the qua...
What medications interact with glinides?
If you are taking gemfibrozil, you should not take repaglinide. This answer was adapted from Sharec...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
What Should My Blood Sugar Levels Be?
What Should My Blood Sugar Levels Be?