What should I know before I take a glitazone?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Your doctor will need to test your liver and kidney function before starting treatment. If you have moderate to severe liver disease, you should not take pioglitazone. If you have mild liver disease, pioglitazone may not be a good option for you. Rosiglitazone may cause elevated liver enzymes, hepatitis, and liver failure.

If you have NYHA class III or IV heart failure, you should not take pioglitazone or rosiglitazone. If you have any other type of symptomatic heart failure, a glitazone may not be a good option for you.

If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, glitazones may not be a good option for you. It is not known if they are safe for pregnant women.

You should not take a glitazone if you are breastfeeding.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Types of Diabetes
Types of Diabetes
Diabetes affects people of all ages and from all walks of life. There are several types, but type 2 diabetes is by far the most common. Of the nearly ...
What should my diabetes treatment goals be?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
The goal of treating type 1 diabetes is to keep your blood glucose levels in the normal range. Your ...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
Can Diet And Exercise Control My Diabetes?