What should I know before I take a glinide?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

If you have severe kidney function impairment or liver function impairment, a glinide may not be a good option for you.

You should not take a glinide if you are breastfeeding.

If you are pregnant, may be pregnant, or planning a pregnancy, glinides may not be a good option for you. It is not known if they are safe for pregnant women.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Know Your Risk: Diabetic Heart Disease
Know Your Risk: Diabetic Heart Disease
Whether it’s type 1 or type 2, having diabetes means you’re more likely to develop heart disease than those without the condition, more likely to deve...
How is low-dose aspirin used to treat people with diabetes?
Some people with diabetes can benefit from taking low dose aspirin (75 to 162 mg a day). This includ...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
What Is a Soup Recipe for People with Diabetes?