What is the toll of diabetes in America?

Tonya Bolden
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
By 2003 diabetes had become the fifth-leading cause of death in America, with some 18.2 million Americans living with the disease. More than half the nation’s diabetics were women, and one out of every four black women fifty-five and older had the disease. Diabetes had a hold on more than 8 percent of whites and more than 11 percent of blacks. While all diabetics are at a higher risk for kidney failure, stroke, heart attack, lower limb amputations, and blindness, black diabetics were at a higher risk of these devastations than nonblack diabetics. In 2005 the CDC reported that the number of Americans living with diabetes increased by 14 percent, up to 20.8 million. The CDC also reported that 41 million Americans had prediabetes and thus were at risk of contracting type 2 diabetes.
Half the Mother, Twice the Love: My Journey to Better Health with Diabetes

As a talk-show host and inspirational speaker, Mother Love used to have to just grin and bear it -- all that extra weight and the poor health that went along with it. Today she can truly smile as she...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Manage Insulin-Dependent Diabetes With 90-Day CGMs
When you think of humans with implants, you may picture sinister movie characters like Dr. No with bionic metal hands or the Borg from Star Trek. But ...
What is the glycemic index and can it help me with my diabetes?
The glycemic index classifies carbohydrate-containing foods according to how quickly they raise your...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?