What is a fasting blood test?

A fasting blood test is a laboratory examination of a sample of your blood taken from a vein (usually in your arm) after you have not eaten anything for at least eight hours and sometimes as long as 12 hours. Your doctor may also suggest that you don't drink anything other than water during this fasting time and may also advise you not to take any medications during your fasting period. Two common reasons for having a fasting blood test are to check the level of sugar (glucose) in your blood and to check the levels of cholesterol in your blood. In both cases the accuracy of your results may be affected by the food you eat. Fasting before your blood test can help to ensure accurate results.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diagnosed with Diabetes? Try One of These Diets
When you’ve been diagnosed with diabetes, knowing what to eat suddenly becomes a Very Big Deal. Forget about casually grabbing a cookie in the break r...
How can I still eat out now that I have diabetes?
Dining out can be an enjoyable experience for people with diabetes with a little advance planning. C...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Why Does Diabetes Cause Frequent Urination?