What is diabulimia?

An eating disorder called diabulemia has been found in people with diabetes who use insulin. They intentionally reduce or omit insulin doses in an attempt to lose glucose and calories in the urine. As in other eating disorders, people who omit insulin for weight loss have more episodes of diabetic ketoacidosis and have problems managing their glucose levels.

If you have an eating disorder or are omitting insulin for weight control, professional help is available. Eating disorders are serious and can lead to serious complications and even death. Please talk to someone with whom you feel comfortable discussing your feelings.

Ask your provider to recommend a mental health counselor who can work with the other members of your health care team. Your entire team will work with you and your family to help you understand your disorder and how to treat it. It may help you to join a support group. Talking to ­others who have similar problems can help you feel understood. 

Continue Learning about Diabetes

9 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Dry Skin
9 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Dry Skin
If you have diabetes, it’s important to keep your skin healthy, moisturized and clean to avoid infections. But winter can pose some additional challen...
Does type 2 diabetes run in families?
Dr. Douglas S. Denham, DODr. Douglas S. Denham, DO
Type 2 Diabetes has a strong genetic component, though the specific mutations responsible have not c...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Why Should I See an Endocrinologist If I Have Diabetes?