What kind of inhaled insulin is used to treat diabetes?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Rapid-acting insulin, for use at mealtimes, is also available as an inhalant (Afrezza). Afrezza starts working in 12 to 15 minutes, peaks by 30 minutes, and stops working in about 3 hours. People with lung cancer or chronic lung disease, such as COPD or asthma, should not use inhaled insulin. Inhaled insulin is also not recommended for people who smoke or who have stopped smoking recently.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

News: What Diabetes Really Costs Americans Each Year
As more and more US adults develop diabetes, healthcare costs, not surprising, are rising. However, the impact of the diabetes epidemic is not just ec...
What medications interact with glinides?
If you are taking gemfibrozil, you should not take repaglinide. This answer was adapted from Sharec...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Do I Have to Test My Blood Sugar Every Day?