What can cause a blood glucose meter for diabetes to give a bad reading?

Experts testing meters in the lab setting found them accurate and precise. That's the good news. The bad: meter mistakes most often come from the person doing the blood checks. For good results you need to do each step correctly. Here are some other things that can cause your meter to give a poor reading:
  • Dirty meter
  • Meter or strip that's not at room temperature
  • Outdated test strip
  • Meter not calibrated (set up for) the current box of test strips
  • Blood drop that is too small
Ask your health care team to check your skills at least once a year. Error can creep in over time.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Are You Ready to Try a Plant-Based Diet?
If you’ve read anything about healthy eating plans for people with diabetes, you’ve probably seen the term “plant-based diet.” But what does it mean? ...
How can I help school staff care for my child with diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Many schools have little experience caring for a student with diabetes and may not know what is invo...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
If I Have Type 2 Diabetes, Will I Eventually Have to Take Insulin?