What foods should I have on hand in case of emergency if I have diabetes?

First, keeping a good supply of drinking water should be very high on the priority list. Canned food can be a good choice as long as you choose varieties that are lower in sodium, such as no added salt canned vegetables, soups and beans. Canned tuna and chicken are also good to have on hand. Try to avoid high sodium foods such as canned pasta dishes.

There are also many good energy/protein bars on the market that are low in sugar and are also designed to minimize rapid blood glucose elevations. Examples of brands available include Extend bars and Glucerna bars/products.

Other excellent food sources include prepacked unsalted nuts as well as small boxes of dried fruit such as raisins. High fiber, lower sodium crackers can also be a very good choice—brands such as Wasa and Ak Mak are among those that can provide good nutritional value. There are even single serving containers of peanut butter now available as well, which can also be a great backup food in case of an emergency.

Last but not least, don't forget the can opener, hand sanitizer, plastic utensils and paper goods, and food/water for any pets that you may have.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How Type 2 Diabetes Increases Your Risk for Heart Attack and Stroke
The facts around diabetes, heart disease and stroke are worrisome: Compared to people without diabetes, those with the disease are nearly two times as...
What should my diabetes treatment goals be?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
The goal of treating type 1 diabetes is to keep your blood glucose levels in the normal range. Your ...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
How Will Probiotics Change the World for Millions of Diabetics?