What are the first things I should do with my new glucose meter?

Follow your glucose meter manufacturer’s instructions for calibrating, setting date and time, and using control solutions. Check to make sure your strips are not outdated, and store them within the proper temperature limits. Strips can be ruined if they are kept outside the range of acceptable temperatures. If you have problems, there is a toll-free number on the back of the meter that you can call for help. Read the instructions for possible test sites.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Can You Spot the Signs of Ketoacidosis?
Can You Spot the Signs of Ketoacidosis?
If you have diabetes, you may have heard of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) and hyperosmolar hyperglycemic nonketotic syndrome (HHNS), also known as hyper...
What is the average risk of diabetes in the United States?
The lifetime risk of diabetes for people born in the United States in 2000 is: for all Americans:...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
What Should Someone Look for in a Blood Glucose Meter?