What can I do if I can't afford to see a doctor regularly for my diabetes?

Many times, doctors are willing to work with patients who are unable to afford the cost of their office visits when they are uninsured. Ask your doctor if she/he may be willing to put you on a payment plan so that you can continue to receive important diabetes care even if you cannot afford office visits at the time of service.

If your doctor is unable to see you because you cannot pay for office visits, there are many free or low-cost health clinics that operate across the country.

Another option to consider is seeing a physician for your diabetes treatment needs who is affiliated with a hospital. Most hospitals will provide financial assistance to people who cannot afford visits to a doctor. If you believe that you have difficulty affording your physician visits and the physician is affiliated with a hospital, ask to speak with a financial advisor based in the hospital. Mention to the financial advisor that you require assistance with paying for your medical care. Some hospitals refer to this care as either free care or compassionate care.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Why Would I Go on Insulin Therapy?
Why Would I Go on Insulin Therapy?
In this video, endocrinologist John Merendino, MD, discusses the role of insulin therapy in regulating blood sugar levels, and dispels a misconception...
What are glinides?
Glinides help the beta cells in the pancreas to produce insulin. Glinides available in the US includ...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
Is Weight Management Important for Diabetic Patients?