What can I do if I can't afford to see a doctor regularly for my diabetes?

Many times, doctors are willing to work with patients who are unable to afford the cost of their office visits when they are uninsured. Ask your doctor if she/he may be willing to put you on a payment plan so that you can continue to receive important diabetes care even if you cannot afford office visits at the time of service.

If your doctor is unable to see you because you cannot pay for office visits, there are many free or low-cost health clinics that operate across the country.

Another option to consider is seeing a physician for your diabetes treatment needs who is affiliated with a hospital. Most hospitals will provide financial assistance to people who cannot afford visits to a doctor. If you believe that you have difficulty affording your physician visits and the physician is affiliated with a hospital, ask to speak with a financial advisor based in the hospital. Mention to the financial advisor that you require assistance with paying for your medical care. Some hospitals refer to this care as either free care or compassionate care.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.