What should my diabetes treatment goals be?

The goal of treating type 1 diabetes is to keep your blood glucose levels in the normal range. Your doctor will tell you the correct range for you.

The American Diabetes Association (ADA) recommends the following treatment goals (your goals may differ, depending on your health history):

• Hemoglobin A1c: Less than 7 percent
  • Blood sugar before a meal (preprandial plasma glucose): 70-130 mg/dL
  • Blood sugar 1 to 2 hours after a meal (postprandial plasma glucose): Less than 180 mg/dL
  • Blood pressure: Lower than 130/80 mm Hg
  • LDL (bad) cholesterol: Less than 100 mg/dL
  • HDL (good) cholesterol: Over 40 mg/dL for men; over 50 mg/dL for women
  • Triglycerides: Less than 150 mg/dL

With regular monitoring every 2 to 3 months, you and your doctor can check whether your treatment plan is helping you meet these goals and can make adjustments as needed.

Good diabetes care should also include steps to maintain oral/dental health, eye health, kidney health, mental health, and foot health through self-care, regular checkups, and, when necessary, appropriate treatment.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

4 Things to Know About Diabetic Heart Disease
The close association between diabetes and heart disease is well documented: Diabetes and prediabetes are listed among the top risk factors for corona...
How is insulin related to blood sugar?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
It's important to have the right balance of insulin and glucose in the blood because too much insuli...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Do I Have to Prick My Skin to Test My Blood Glucose?