What is the continuous glucose monitoring system (CGMS)?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

CGM is a high-tech system for monitoring your blood sugar. The system is made up of three parts: a sensor that slips under your skin (don’t freak out on me, it’s not painful); a transmitter; and a monitor.

The system samples every five minutes, giving you a near continuous look at the changes in blood sugar. Alarms can warn you it you are in danger, either high or low, and if your blood sugar is changing rapidly.

It’s very cool.

Beyond moment-to-moment safety, a CGM system will let you study in great detail how your body responds to various foods and how well your diabetes medication is doing in controlling your blood sugar.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes-Friendly Foods for Your Eyes
Diabetes-Friendly Foods for Your Eyes
Diabetes is a condition that prevents your body from producing or responding to the insulin it needs to bring sugar from the blood stream to cells, wh...
Where can I learn about diabetes?
Amy CampbellAmy Campbell
If you or a loved one has diabetes, you should try and learn as much as you can about your condition...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
Why Is Diabetes a Serious Health Problem for Older Adults?