What should I consider before ordering fast food if I have diabetes?

Here are some tips to help you choose well at fast food restaurants if you have diabetes:
  • Know that an average fast-food meal can run as high as 1000 calories or more and raise your blood sugar above your target range.
  • Know the nutritional value of the foods you order. Although there are some good choices, most fast-food items are high in fat and calories.
  • If you're having fast-food for one meal, let your other meals that day contain healthier foods, like fruits and vegetables.
  • Think about how your food will be cooked. Chicken and fish can be good choices -- but not if they are breaded and deep fried.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

9 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Dry Skin
9 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Dry Skin
If you have diabetes, it’s important to keep your skin healthy, moisturized and clean to avoid infections. But winter can pose some additional challen...
What are the symptoms of diabetes in older people?
The most common symptoms of diabetes in people are increased thirst and increased urination. In olde...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
Who Should Be on My Diabetes Healthcare Team?