What are glinides?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Glinides help the beta cells in the pancreas to produce insulin. Glinides available in the US include nateglinide (Starlix) and repaglinide (Prandin). These drugs are taken by mouth. They may be prescribed alone or in combination with other diabetes drugs. A product combining repaglinide with metformin (Prandimet) is also available.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How to Protect Your Heart if You Have Diabetes
You’ve probably heard that diabetes is a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease. How major? According to the American Diabetes Association (AD...
With diabetes, why do I need to be aware of carbohydrate content of food?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You can’t get diabetes from eating too much sugar or other carbohydrates. However, eating too much i...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
Why Is Healthy Muscle Mass Important If I Have Diabetes?