What supplies will I need in my glucose monitor kit?

In your kit you'll need a glucose meter, which measures and displays your glucose -- or blood sugar -- levels. Lancets and a lancing device will help you draw blood for the testing. Glucose test strips are needed to get your blood sugar readings. You may also want a log book to track your levels. A glucose monitor kit is available at your local pharmacy. Ask your doctor for specific directions before using one.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.