What spare continuous glucose monitor parts should I bring when traveling?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
I always carry one more sensor than I need when I travel. If it is a short trip and I’ve just started a sensor that’s running well, I carry one spare. If it is a longer trip or if I’m toward the end of a sensor run, I carry two spares. If you are using a CGM that takes AAA batteries, spares can go with your checked bags. If they lose your bags, you can always buy more. If you need a recharger for your CGM monitor, it should go in your carry-on.

You should also have spare I.V. Prep or Skin Prep, Uni-Solve and IV 3000˚s—if you use them. In short, carry spares of everything you need for CGM survival, and then some.
Beyond Fingersticks: The art of control with continuous glucose monitoring

Everything you ever wanted to know about CGM (but didn’t know to ask)!Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM), the revolutionary technology that’s poised to completely change diabetes care, gives you...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.