What should I know about the software for a continuous glucose monitor?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
All CGM systems have software. Some include it as part of the package, others make you buy it. Some are desktop based. Some are web-based. Big differences come into play when you look at data filtering options.

• Can you look just at Sundays for the last three months?
  • Can you just look at lows? 
  • Can you display your day from 6 a.m. instead of from midnight? 
  • How is the sensor data displayed?
  • Do you get nice smooth lines, or plots of crazy dots, squares, and triangles?

Do you use a Mac? Mac users are generally screwed when it comes to medical device software. If you use a Mac you’ll probably want a web-based software, just make sure there is a way for you to get your data to the web from your system.

Also, consider download type. Cable, infrared, RF, or Blue Tooth. What are your options? What will be easiest for you? What will work best with your computer system?
Beyond Fingersticks: The art of control with continuous glucose monitoring

Everything you ever wanted to know about CGM (but didn’t know to ask)!Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM), the revolutionary technology that’s poised to completely change diabetes care, gives you...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

9 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Dry Skin
9 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Dry Skin
If you have diabetes, it’s important to keep your skin healthy, moisturized and clean to avoid infections. But winter can pose some additional challen...
How can I know if a new diabetes product is right for me?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
This is one time when being a skeptic is a good idea. Many times, news releases make a product sound...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
Who Should Be on My Diabetes Healthcare Team?