Should I get a pancreas transplant for my diabetes?

A study has indicated that, for patients with functioning kidneys, survival rates of patients who receive pancreas-only transplants are worse than the survival rates of patients who manage their diabetes with conventional therapy (insulin, diet, etc.). Therefore, the decision to have a pancreas-only transplant should be very carefully considered by both the patient and physician. Because of the lower survival rates seen with pancreas-only transplants, and because a pancreas transplanted along with a kidney is less likely to fail than a pancreas transplanted alone, pancreas transplants are nearly always done only in people with type 1 diabetes who are getting or already have a transplanted kidney.

Dr. Jack Merendino, MD
Endocrinologist

Pancreas transplantation is sometimes used to restore insulin production in type 1 diabetes. This is a major surgical procedure with a high risk of complications, so it is done only in those people whose blood sugar levels absolutely can't be controlled by other means.

The availability of organs is quite limited because they cannot be donated by a living person. We have only one pancreas and removing it causes serious problems. Even when a pancreas does become available from a deceased donor, there is a risk of rejection, as with all organ transplantation, so long-term success isn't guaranteed. In addition, the same autoimmune process that destroyed the insulin-producing beta cells in the person's own pancreas is likely to attack the cells in the transplanted pancreas.

The majority of people who undergo pancreas transplantation also have kidney failure and need a kidney transplant. The kidney transplant has a higher likelihood of success, and the same drugs are used to prevent rejection of both the transplanted kidney and pancreas.

Therefore, if a person needs a kidney transplant and there is a suitable pancreas available, it's much easier to justify the pancreas transplant than for someone who needs only the pancreas.

The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

Bob Greene has helped millions of Americans become fit and healthy with his life-changing Best Life plan. Now, for the first time, Oprah's trusted expert on diet and fitness teams up with a leading...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Screening and Diagnosis for Diabetes
Screening and Diagnosis for Diabetes
Diabetes is easy to prevent—if it's caught early enough. It's also the seventh leading cause of death in the United States, a fact that should motivat...
How can I plan ahead for being hospitalized if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Ask your health insurance company which hospital services they cover and for how much. Also, many in...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
Why Is There Such a Prevalence of Diabetes Today?