Should I eat oat muesli or wheat muesli if I have diabetes?

Traditional rolled oats-based cereals are a better choice because less processed oats generally have a lower glycemic index, meaning they’ll have less of an effect on your blood sugar levels. Make sure you look at the nutrition facts panel on the package, as each product will vary in calories, carbs, fiber and overall nutrition content. Many times a food that is labeled lowfat will be high in sugar. Muesli that is toasted may have added honey, which will give it a glazed look. Obviously if honey or sweet syrup is added to the product, it will add to your carb intake and possibly raise your blood sugar.

You can also try making your own muesli. If you are not on a wheat free diet, you can combine oats and wheat flakes (which may need to be soaked before combining with other ingredients). Mix in finely chopped unsalted nuts and seeds such as almonds, walnuts, Brazils, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, or any other nut or seed you like. Top it off with a sprinkle of unsweetened coconut flakes and wheat germ. For a delicious twist, toast the nuts in the oven (or in a pan). If you want to add a small amount of dried fruit (dates or raisins), remember that will also increase your carb intake.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Types of Diabetes
Types of Diabetes
Diabetes affects people of all ages and from all walks of life. There are several types, but type 2 diabetes is by far the most common. Of the nearly ...
If I have diabetes and am sick, how often should I check my blood sugar?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
This depends on two things: what type of diabetes you have and how sick you are. In general, people...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
How Can Weight Management Impact Overall Health?