Should I monitor my blood sugar when taking Humulin?

You should regularly monitor your blood sugar when taking Humulin, which is a synthetic form of insulin that helps people with diabetes control their blood sugar. Having very high blood sugar levels (hyperglycemia) or very low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia) means your diabetes isn’t being properly controlled. Your prescription may need to be adjusted.

Certain things can affect your blood sugar level. These include stress, illness, exercising less than usual or eating more than usual. Symptoms of high blood sugar include increased thirst, increased urination and high levels of sugar in the urine. Symptoms of dangerously low blood sugar include confusion, loss of consciousness and seizures. If left untreated, hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia can lead to coma or death.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How to Develop Your Diabetes Action Plan
Managing diabetes requires care, commitment and planning. With your diagnosis, it’s helpful to develop an action plan that is specific to you. To dev...
Which laws protect my child with diabetes at school?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Almost all schools are required by law to provide aids and related services to meet the needs of chi...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
3 Ways to Manage Diabetes
3 Ways to Manage Diabetes