Should I call my doctor if I am diabetic and feel like I am fainting?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
The very first thing you should do is check your blood sugar. Feeling light-headed can be caused by many things, but having low blood sugar is high on the list of suspects for us diabetics. If your blood sugar is low, treat it by drinking half a can of regular soda, some juice, or eating several hard candies or two spoonfuls of honey. Oh, by the way, that’s a multiple choice list, don’t eat/drink all of those!

Low blood sugar can become a medical emergency, but it’s one you can treat yourself. About 15 minutes after you’ve taken on some sugar, please re-test your blood sugar to make sure it’s rising. It doesn’t need to be all the way back up to normal again, but it should be higher. If it’s the same or lower, take on more sugar.

Once your blood sugar is stable, you should call your doctor, your therapy may need to be adjusted.

If your sugar was fine and if you have a home blood pressure monitor, you should check your blood pressure. If it’s low, drink several glasses of water, and then call your doctor.

What if your sugar and pressure are both fine and you feel like fainting? Well, something must be causing it, and you’ve ruled out the two most common and most likely causes so it’s time to break out the big guns. Yep. Call the Doc.

That’s what your doctor is there for. Trust me, if you feel like fainting, your doctor really wants to know.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How to Monitor Your Blood Sugar for Diabetes
How can you tell if the goals of your diabetes management plan are working to hold your blood sugar in range? The easiest way is to monitor your blood...
What are the risk factors for diabetes?
Dr. Celeste Robb-NicholsonDr. Celeste Robb-Nicholson
Risk factors for diabetes include: Age: Predominantly a disease of later life, diabetes generally...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
What Kinds of Medications Are Used to Treat Type 2 Diabetes?