Should I call my doctor if I am diabetic and feel like I am fainting?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
The very first thing you should do is check your blood sugar. Feeling light-headed can be caused by many things, but having low blood sugar is high on the list of suspects for us diabetics. If your blood sugar is low, treat it by drinking half a can of regular soda, some juice, or eating several hard candies or two spoonfuls of honey. Oh, by the way, that’s a multiple choice list, don’t eat/drink all of those!

Low blood sugar can become a medical emergency, but it’s one you can treat yourself. About 15 minutes after you’ve taken on some sugar, please re-test your blood sugar to make sure it’s rising. It doesn’t need to be all the way back up to normal again, but it should be higher. If it’s the same or lower, take on more sugar.

Once your blood sugar is stable, you should call your doctor, your therapy may need to be adjusted.

If your sugar was fine and if you have a home blood pressure monitor, you should check your blood pressure. If it’s low, drink several glasses of water, and then call your doctor.

What if your sugar and pressure are both fine and you feel like fainting? Well, something must be causing it, and you’ve ruled out the two most common and most likely causes so it’s time to break out the big guns. Yep. Call the Doc.

That’s what your doctor is there for. Trust me, if you feel like fainting, your doctor really wants to know.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.