How important is screen shape in a continuous glucose monitor?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Some CGMs have square screens, and some have rectangular screens. It really doesn’t matter in the long run, but CGM “traces,” the visual depiction of blood sugar data and context over time, displayed on a rectangle look very different from the same trace data displayed on a square.

Squares tend to make smaller changes look more significant than they look on rectangles; or if you prefer, rectangles tend to minimize changes in blood sugar traces compared to squares. Either way, you’ll get used to whatever you live with.

That said, which format you have will affect which graphs you’ll find most useful. A square 3-hour display is pretty handy. A rectangular 3-hour display will always look flat unless the shit has really hit the fan. At the same time, a six hour graph on a rectangle is pretty sweet while changes in six-hour blood sugar on a square screen look more severe than they are.
Beyond Fingersticks: The art of control with continuous glucose monitoring

Everything you ever wanted to know about CGM (but didn’t know to ask)!Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM), the revolutionary technology that’s poised to completely change diabetes care, gives you...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How Type 2 Diabetes Increases Your Risk for Heart Attack and Stroke
The facts around diabetes, heart disease and stroke are worrisome: Compared to people without diabetes, those with the disease are nearly two times as...
What are some of the myths about diabetes?
Mr. Eliot LeBow, CDE, LCSWMr. Eliot LeBow, CDE, LCSW
Think type 2 diabetes is simply caused by extra pounds? Think again. In this video, Eliot LeBow, a p...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
If I Have Type 2 Diabetes, Do I Have to Give Up Alcohol?